THE NAEGLERIA FOWLERI PARASITE-BRAIN-EATING PARASITE FROM LAKES AND RIVERS CAN KILL YOUR DOGS
Some call this canine meningitis and now that summer is around the corner, this brain-eating amoeba is more deadly than ever and can be found in most bodies of warm water such as rivers, streams, lakes and even swimming pools with warm water.
Canine Meningoencephalitis is so deadly because as dog parents, it takes us a while to recognize the symptoms and by that time it is normally too late. So all you hikers, dog walkers and dog parents out there, watch out for bodies of warm water. If that stream water is warm, keep your dogs out of it. The only way to prevent the infection is to avoid water-related activities, particularly in warm freshwater, hot springs or thermally-polluted water near power plants, where the amoeba is much more abundant. Not letting water cover your dogs nostrils during wading or swimming may help prevent this infection as well.
This parasite causes a severe brain infection in your dogs, in which brain tissue is destroyed.
Usually begins within 2 weeks of infection.
Headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, confusion and loss of balance
Death within 3 -7 days
Although several drugs have proved effective against Naegleria , most infections in dogs are fatal even when treated.Prevention is the key to avoiding this deadly parasite.
Copyright © 2012