Blue Heeler-Australian Cattle Dog. Dingo Dog/Scottish Collie

1397434-8-week-old-blue-heeler-puppy-dog

Country of Origin: Australia

Group: Herding, UKC/AKC

History of the Blue Heeler:

The Blue Heeler came about when Australian cattle ranchers needed a cattle drover with endurance that could go long distances.The Blue Heeler’s direct ancestor was the Hall’s Heeler, a canine that was developed from a cross of the dingo and the smooth-coated Scottish Collie.In 1860, the Hall’s Heeler was mixed with the Australian Kelpie and the Dalmation to create the modern Australian Cattle Dog.

Physical Description:

The Blue Heeler is a medium-sized, muscular dog.

Strong, broad head and a medium -length muzzle.

Almond-shaped brown eyes

Medium-sized ears that are naturally upright

Brush tail

Double-coat with a dense undercoat and a smooth, hard outer-coat.Medium length.

Blue, mottled or speckled. with or without blue, black, or tan markings;or red speckled with darker red markings.

Height: 17-20 inches

Weight: 33-55 pounds

Temperament: A truly loyal and protective dog that can be wary of strangers, yet this breed is easygoing with family members that everyone that he knows.

The Blue Heeler is a one- person dog and is alert, intelligent, protective and fun to be around.

With a high activity level, the Blue Heeler needs plenty of exercise and environmental stimuli.

Needs: Positive training, plenty of exercise,and socialization.

Health Concerns: Hip dysplasia and deafness .

AKC.

Dogster.com

Australian Cattle Dog Club

Blue Heeler Rescue (Australia)

Best Friends

© Copyright 2013

Claudia Bensimoun

7 comments for “Blue Heeler-Australian Cattle Dog. Dingo Dog/Scottish Collie

1. April 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Adorable!

2. April 15, 2013 at 3:48 am

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I’m going to take a chance and ask it, anyhow. (Ha!)

Are Blue Heelers born with a stubby tail / no tail? Or is it a case where some pups in a litter are born with no tail and others are born with longer tails? I didn’t think these dogs were docked as a breed standard. (Actually, I was thinking docking was no longer allowed in Australia, but I am not sure if that is true or not.)

• April 20, 2013 at 7:15 am

The Smithfield cattle dog is the stumpy tail breed and the Blue Heeler is of a more stocky build, often has tan markings as well and has a tail. I believe that docking of tails and the ‘trimming’ of ears is banned in Australia unless it is for medical reasons such as injury.

• April 20, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for the information! 🙂

I thought docking was banned in Australia, but I hadn’t researched it, so I wasn’t sure. I appreciate your help.

• April 21, 2013 at 8:02 am

You’re welcome, the ban may not apply in all states but all the Rottweilers in the last couple of years where I live have long happy tails 🙂

3. April 15, 2013 at 11:50 pm

We have two blue heeler mixes (not purebred). Best dogs ever!

4. April 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

Smart, beautiful and loyal dogs that require lots of physical and mental stimulation, we see quite a few in shelters because they have behavioural issues often bought about by lack of both 🙁