By Claudia Bensimoun
Image Credit: Claudia Bensimoun
Dogs do become ill just like humans, so it’s important to examine the many benefits of carrying good pet insurance. Emergencies tend to happen out of the blue when you least expect it. Sadly, many dog parents are not able to afford the veterinary bills for surgery, and the basic health care costs for their dogs. These dogs are often euthanized if faced with surgery bills for a traumatic injury like being hit by a car.
Think about the costs of treating renal failure, diabetes and cancer later on. That said, there are lots of veterinary costs to think about during the puppy stage. These veterinary costs will relate to breed specific health issues that all puppies may be prone to. Other puppy veterinary costs will include dental, yearly health and wellness visits that include vaccinations and dental cleanings.
Today, veterinary medical advances and high-end veterinary equipment give your puppy the best chance of recovery and a longer life, so why not afford the best veterinary care with the help of pet insurance?
Image Credit: Claudia Bensimoun
Health Issues That Your Dogs May Be Prone To
Prevention is critical when caring for a dog. Unfortunately vaccinations and parasite prevention are not the only expenses to think about. You’ll also need to take into consideration breed specific health issues that are common to certain breeds such as:
- Back, hip, and knee disorders
- Hip dyplasia which can start during puppyhood.
- Intervertebral disk disease, which can start during puppyhood and cause paralysis and incontinence.
- Blood disorders: Factor VII deficiency known to cause mild bleeding.
- Eye disorders like cherry eye, glaucoma, cataracts, eyelid and eyelash abnormalities
- Heart conditions
- Musladin-Lueke Syndrome (MLS)
- Skin allergies
- Thyroid disorders
- Respiratory disorders
- Eye and Ear infections
Preparing For Pet Emergencies
Having pet insurance allows you to provide your pooch with the best veterinary care when he needs it. If Fido escapes through the front door and gets into an accident, your veterinary bills are going to be expensive, and possibly unaffordable. Without good pet health insurance, chances are that you’ll not be able to afford the thousands of dollars for major surgery. You’ll put your dog at risk for going without the health care that he deserves, and you’ll never forgive yourself for doing that. By obtaining pet health insurance, you’ll also be able to cover dental, health care like vaccinations and well visits, and spaying or neutering costs for your pooch.
Shopping for pet insurance can be confusing, but is actually very easy to do online. Understanding your dog’s medical condition, and what he may need in the future is very important, so that you can determine what kind of coverage to take out. With so many dogs today being more prone to cancer, obesity, kidney disease and even periodontal disease, it’s imperative that to find the very best in pet insurance.
Here’s What You’ll Need To Do:
- Start by researching all the carriers and getting quotes.
- Every quote is custom because rates are based on your dog’s breed, age, and where you live.
- Find an insurance that insures from 7 weeks right through to old age.
- Look for comprehensive pet coverage that covers all accidents, illnesses and all unexpected accidents.
- Find one that allows you to choose your annual maximum rate and reimbursement percentage.
- Check to make sure that your dog is covered for major illnesses like cancer treatments, and breed specific conditions. This is very important.
- Look for prescription coverage and most importantly, emergency care and specialist care. Accidents do happen out of the blue and you need to plan for those. Ask about surgeries and hospitalization, and nursing care coverage.
- Wellness check-ups, spay and neuter costs, vaccines, heartworm treatments, periodontal care and dental cleanings should be added to the policy, if they’re not included. Follow up with a phone call to make sure that you’ve understood the coverage completely.
Pet Insurance Comparisons
With Embrace Pet Insurance you’ll receive a comprehensive plan that covers your dog if an unexpected accident or illness should occur. Plans start for as little as a few dollars each month. You’re able to choose:
- Annual maximum
- Reimbursement percentage
Fido Will Benefit From The Following:
- Breed specific conditions
- Cancer treatments
- All diagnostic testing and imaging like X-rays, ultrasounds and MRI’s
- Surgery, hospitalizations, and veterinary care
- Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
- ER and specialist care
- Prescription Drug Coverage (this may be included in your plan)
There is also a Wellness Rewards Program for yearly check-ups, vaccines, heartworm treatment and teeth cleaning. The only downside to this insurance is that your dog has to be 14 years or younger to sign up for a new policy. For more information about Embrace Pet Insurance, please visit: www.embracepetinsurance.com/dog-insurance
Here plans start from as little as $16.00 per month. You’re able to choose any licensed veterinarian, and be reimbursed for up to 100% of your bill after your deductible. If you add routine care coverage to your plan, vaccinations, blood work, spaying and neutering will be covered. For just an additional $4.00 per month, you can add cancer treatments, or accident plans. For more information on Pets Best Pet Insurance, please visit: www.petsbest.com.
- 100% reimbursement of your veterinary bill
- Super low deductibles
- No veterinary exam required to sign up for this plan
- You may visit any veterinarian in the world, so this is great if you travel with Fido.
- Quick reimbursements
- No age limits
- Online claims submission
- Complete hereditary and congenital coverage
- Routine care coverage optional
- 2-5 days claims processing
Pet Plan Pet Insurance
Plans start for as little as $1 per day. This plan covers all treatments recommended by veterinarians. The insurance is flexible, and there are plenty of great discounts available.
- Hereditary, congenital and all chronic conditions
- Diagnostic testing
- MRI, CAT scans and ultrasounds
- Holistic and all alternative treatments
- Cancer treatments and all specialist treatments
For more information on this most popular plan, please visit: www.gopetplan.com
Healthy Paws Insurance
This insurance covers everything, but pre-existing conditions. They’re the only company that provides unlimited lifetime benefits for pets with an annual deductible. This plan starts as low as $25 for pets, with no caps on claims.
- Preventative care
- Veterinary examination fee
- Pre-existing ligament problems
- Parasite control
- Dental care
To find out more about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, please visit: www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/dog-and-puppy-insurance
Final Tips For Choosing Pet Insurance
- Inquire about the company that you’re about to select, and see what their record is for covering pets and paying claims.
- Avoid policies that only pay up to a specific amount for veterinary bills for certain illnesses or injuries. Instead opt for annual limits that get carried through each year.
- Opt for pet insurance companies that offer you 100% reimbursement. Keep in mind that some companies will only pay out a maximum of 80%
- Don’t opt for a pet insurance company that classifies a chronic condition or preexisting condition. These companies often won’t cover those conditions at the annual renewal date. Call and make sure that all conditions are covered.
- Coverage should always be ongoing, and should cover all of your dog’s conditions or what he may be prone to.
- Whether your dog is an indoor or outdoor pet, he should be protected in case of illness or injury. Each stage of your dog’s life should be filled with the security of knowing that you can provide him with the appropriate veterinary care at any time, day or night. No one is in a better position than you to decide right this very minute that it’s time to protect Fido forever!
Thanks for visiting my dog blog!
Copyright © 2018 Claudia Bensimoun